Ho Chi Minh City, formerly known as Saigon, is a vibrant and bustling metropolis in southern Vietnam. Known for its rich history, diverse culture, and delicious cuisine, this city offers a plethora of attractions and experiences for travelers. Exploring the streets on foot allows you to immerse yourself in the local atmosphere and discover hidden gems along the way. From iconic landmarks to lively markets, serene parks, and mouthwatering street food, Ho Chi Minh City has it all.
Here are the 50 tips for a mixed-style (walking, motorbike, bike, or private car) tour in Ho Chi Minh City, grouped into categories:
Landmarks and attractions:
01. Visit iconic landmarks such as the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Central Post Office.
02. Take a guided tour of the Reunification Palace to explore its historical significance.
03. Explore the Bitexco Financial Tower and enjoy panoramic views from the Skydeck.
04. Visit the Saigon Opera House and admire its French colonial architecture.
05. Take a walk through Tao Dan Park and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
06. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Zoo and Botanical Gardens for a relaxing nature walk.
07. Explore the local temples and pagodas, such as the Jade Emperor Pagoda and Thien Hau Temple.
08. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts to admire local artwork.
09. Explore the local parks, such as Le Van Tam Park and September 23 Park.
10. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee Building and admire its architecture.
Historical and Cultural Sites:
11. Visit the War Remnants Museum to learn about Vietnam’s history.
12. Explore the local markets, such as Ben Thanh Market and Ba Chieu Market.
13. Take a stroll through the vibrant flower market in District 5.
14. Explore the local street art scene in neighborhoods like District 2 and District 3.
15. Visit the Museum of Vietnamese History to learn about the country’s ancient past.
16. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Museum to learn about the city’s history and culture.
17. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Southern Women to learn about the city’s history from a female perspective.
18. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Ao Dai to learn about Vietnam’s traditional dress.
19. Visit the Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine to learn about traditional healing practices.
Neighborhoods and Districts:
20. Explore different neighborhoods like District 1, District 3, and District 5.
21. Explore the vibrant streets of Chinatown (Cho Lon) in District 5.
22. Take a walk around the picturesque Turtle Lake (Ho Con Rua).
23. Explore the local neighborhoods and interact with friendly locals.
Food and Drink:
24. Sample local street food such as banh mi, pho, and fresh spring rolls.
25. Indulge in Vietnamese coffee culture by visiting local cafes.
26. Enjoy a delicious Vietnamese meal at a local restaurant.
27. Explore the local markets and try local delicacies.
28. Experience the vibrant nightlife in the backpacker area of Pham Ngu Lao Street.
Shopping and Markets:
29. Visit the historic Ben Thanh Market for a lively shopping experience.
30. Explore Nguyen Van Binh Book Street, a paradise for book lovers.
31. Explore the local markets in District 10, such as Tan Dinh Market and Ba Chieu Market.
32. Visit the colorful flower market in District 5.
Parks and green spaces:
33. Take a leisurely stroll along Nguyen Hue Walking Street.
34. Take a relaxing stroll along the Saigon River.
35. Take a walk through Le Van Tam Park and enjoy its greenery.
36. Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Zoo and Botanical Gardens for a relaxing nature walk.
Architecture and Landscapes:
37. Admire the French colonial architecture at landmarks like the Central Post Office and the Saigon Opera House.
38. Take a walk along the Saigon River promenade and enjoy the river views.
39. Take a walk along the bustling Nguyen Trai Street and experience local shopping.
40. Take a walk along the famous Walking Bridge in District 2 for stunning city views.
Architecture and Landscapes:
41. Explore the colonial-era buildings and tree-lined boulevards of Dong Khoi Street.
42. Admire the modern architecture of the Landmark 81 skyscraper in Binh Thanh District.
43. Visit the Saigon Central Post Office and marvel at its grand interior.
44. Take a walk along Nguyen Hue Boulevard and enjoy the city’s vibrant atmosphere.
45. Explore the vibrant Nguyen Trai Fashion Street, known for its trendy boutiques and fashion stores.
Hidden Gems and Local Experiences:
46. Discover hidden alleyways and explore the vibrant street life in the backpacker area of Pham Ngu Lao.
47. Visit the Ho Thi Ky Flower Market, one of the largest flower markets in the city.
48. Explore the local antique shops and art galleries in District 1’s Le Cong Kieu Street.
49. Take a cyclo (bicycle rickshaw) ride through the city’s bustling streets for a unique local experience.
50. Visit the Tan Dinh Church, known for its pink exterior and beautiful architecture.
These additional tips offer more diverse experiences and allow you to delve deeper into the local culture and hidden gems of Ho Chi Minh City during your visits to Ho Chi Minh City. Enjoy your exploration of this vibrant city!
We suggest an itinerary for your interest.
- Start your day by exploring District 1, the heart of Ho Chi Minh City. Visit iconic landmarks such as the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Central Post Office, known for their stunning architecture.
- Take a leisurely stroll along Nguyen Hue Walking Street, a pedestrian-only street lined with shops, cafes, and street performers.
- Enjoy a visit to the historic Ben Thanh Market, where you can experience the vibrant atmosphere and sample local street food.
- In the afternoon, head to the War Remnants Museum to learn about Vietnam’s history, particularly the Vietnam War.
- Wrap up the day by visiting the bustling Chinatown (Cho Lon) in District 5, exploring its vibrant streets, markets, and the beautiful Jade Emperor Pagoda.
- Start your day by visiting the Bitexco Financial Tower and admiring the panoramic views of the city from the Skydeck.
- Take a walk along the Saigon River promenade, enjoying the river breeze and observing the local life.
- Visit the Artinus 3D Art Museum for interactive and creative art exhibits that make for fun photo opportunities.
- Explore Nguyen Van Binh Book Street, where you can browse through a wide selection of books and grab a coffee at one of the charming cafes.
- In the evening, experience the vibrant nightlife in the backpacker area of Pham Ngu Lao Street, where you can find lively bars, restaurants, and street food stalls.
- Explore the local markets in District 10, such as Tan Dinh Market and Ba Chieu Market, to experience the daily lives of the locals.
- Take a walk around the picturesque Turtle Lake (Ho Con Rua) and relax in its serene surroundings.
- Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Museum and the Museum of Vietnamese History to appreciate the country’s rich cultural heritage.
- Enjoy a leisurely walk along the famous Walking Bridge in District 2, taking in the stunning cityscape views.
- End the day by indulging in Vietnamese coffee culture, visiting a local café, and savoring the aromatic flavors of a traditional cup of coffee.
- Explore the local neighborhoods and interact with friendly locals, immersing yourself in the authentic local culture.
- Visit the Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Southern Women and the Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine to gain insights into the city’s history and traditional practices.
- Take a walk through the green spaces of Le Van Tam Park and September 23 Park, enjoying the tranquility amidst the bustling city.
- Explore the local temples and pagodas, such as the Thien Hau Temple in Chinatown, and admire their architectural beauty.
- End your walking tour by enjoying a delicious Vietnamese meal at a local restaurant, savoring the flavors of dishes like banh mi, pho, and fresh spring rolls.
Note: This itinerary is a suggested guideline and can be adjusted based on personal preferences and the time available. It’s always a good idea to check the opening hours and any specific requirements of the attractions mentioned before visiting.